As the world’s third-largest economy after the U.S. and China (2022) and with over 53 Japanese companies in the Fortune Global 500 (2020), Japan certainly is the ideal destination for the Japanese and foreign nationals alike to build a career. And for the Indian job seekers, who find themselves among the statistics of the massive decline in employment opportunities, especially after the COVID-19 pandemic, things are looking up, all thanks to the Specified Skilled Worker Program.
Due to the low birth rate, unmatched skills and ageing population, Japan has been battling a chronic labour shortage for quite a while now. A survey conducted in 2022 found that more than 28% of companies lacked non-regular employees in Japan.
In order to combat this persistent issue, the Japanese government has joined forces with several nations, including India, to send as many skilled workers as possible to work and live in Japan. By January 2021, Japan signed the Specified Skilled Worker (SSW) Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) with as many as 13 countries.
What Is Specified Skilled Worker (SSW) Program?
SSW is a status of residence under which foreign nationals can work in Japan for up to five years in 14 fields:
- Nursing (e.g., providing assistance to people with physical disabilities)
- Building Cleaning Management (e.g., cleaning inside buildings)
- Machine Parts & Tooling (e.g., creating components, etc.)
- Industrial Machine (e.g., creating components etc.)
- Electrics, Electronics And Information (e.g., creating components etc.)
- Automobile Repair & Maintenance (e.g., inspecting and maintaining automobiles)
- Aviation (e.g., transporting baggage in aeroplanes’ inspecting and maintaining aeroplanes)
- Accommodation Industry (e.g., working at hotel receptions and greeting guests)
- Agriculture (e.g., growing and harvesting vegetables and other produce, as well as raising pigs, cattle, chickens and other animals)
- Fishery & Aquaculture Industry (e.g., catching and raising fish)
- Manufacture Of Food And Beverages (e.g., preparing food)
- Food Services Industry (e.g., waiting tables)
- Construction (e.g., constructing houses, buildings and other structures)
- Shipbuilding & Ship Machinery Industry (e.g., building ships).
Benefits Of SSW (Specified Skilled Worker)
The benefits that SSW comes with are astounding for job seekers who want to live abroad. Take a look at them:
Work In Japan
Through SSW, skilled professionals will get the opportunity to live and work in Japan for up to five years.
Get High Salary
Selected candidates will get jobs that provide respectable compensation in compliance with the Japanese minimum wages.
Pay Next To Nothing For Accommodation
Selected candidates will get accommodations provided by the company they are placed with. If not, someone from the company will serve as a guarantor for the house the candidates live in.
Experience The Japanese Way Of Working
While in Japan, selected candidates will get to witness and learn the Japanese work culture, etiquette, and quality management. They will also gain a bigger perspective by working with people of different nationalities.
Orientation Sessions To Welcome You
The company will provide orientation sessions for selected candidates to help them adjust to life in Japan. This will give them insights into what to expect during their stay in Japan.
Learn Japanese In Japanese Language School
The company will help the selected candidates choose a Japanese language school to help them further develop their Japanese language skills.
Help And Support To Avail
The company will provide assistance in the candidate’s native language in case of any problems they may face while they work in Japan. Moreover, they will also provide additional support throughout their stay to help them have a better life in Japan.
How SSW Works
Interested and eligible candidates will have to go through only a few processes to find their dream job in Japan.
- Pass the Japanese Language And Skills Proficiency Tests: Candidates must clear the N4 level of the JLPT (Japanese-Language Proficiency Test) or the A2 level of the Japan Foundation Test for Basic Japanese. However, this is not a necessity for those who have completed three years of the Technical Intern Training Program (TITP). Candidates also need to also take the Skills Proficiency Test. Currently, only the Nursing Care Skills test is available in India.
- Interview With Representatives From Japanese companies: Once candidates pass the required Japanese language tests, they will then move on to the next round, which is to sit with representatives from one or more Japanese companies for an interview.
- Sign A Contract With The Company: If the representatives find the interview satisfactory and that the interviewee is perfect for the open position, they will offer them the job and ask them to sign a contract with their company.
- Submit A Status Of Residence Application To Immigration: After signing the contract, either the candidate or the institution that assisted them through the process will have to apply to get the status of residence.
- Work in Japan: Once all documents are approved and received, the selected will then head towards Japan to start their dream jobs.
Who Can Apply For SSW?
To be selected for the SSW program, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Interested candidates must be at least 18 years of age.
- Interested candidates must have considerable knowledge or experience in the field they choose to work in.
- Interested candidates must pass skills proficiency test and a Japanese language test (JLPT N4 or A2 level of Japan Foundation Test for Basic Japanese). Those who have completed three years of Technical Intern Training are exempted from these exams. Candidates for Nursing Care must complete the Nursing Care Japanese Language Proficiency Test in addition to the aforementioned test.
Where To Apply For SSW In India
Akal Japanese Academy, located in Green Park, New Delhi, is the best place in India to join the SSW Program. This TITP-approved sending organisation by NSDC focuses on training eligible and interested candidates and helps them in finding placements in Japan.
Take a look at how Akal Japanese Academy will help you find your dream job in Japan through the SSW Program:
Japanese Language And Cultural Training
We will prepare you for your language tests as well as to adjust to a new culture. From speaking to writing, our dedicated Japanese language experts will help you learn Japanese and give you insights into the rich cultural heritage and traditions of Japan to prevent you from experiencing culture shock once you are in Japan.
Japanese Company Selection And Placement
We will help you get placed in Japanese companies for the field of your choice. We will assist you in identifying your skills and preferred occupation so as to find the right career path for you in Japan.
We prepare candidates for the interview and provide training on Japanese work culture. From how to maintain eye contact to body language to the right dress code, we will help you ace your interview with representatives from Japanese companies.
We will assist you in preparing documents such as your visa and in applying to get the status of residence.
To know more, visit https://www.japan-academy.in/ or reach us at 011-40560919 / 9310533001.
Conclusion: With SSW Program, living in Japan becomes much more desirable as you will have a decent-paying job that comes with job security for up to five years.