The Land of the Rising Sun has a way of bewitching people with its picturesque settings, entertaining anime and manga, delectable cuisines, unique culture and rich heritage. It is no wonder that the language of Japan is now the 13th most spoken language in the world and the 7th most used language on the Internet for 2021.
People across the world now choose to learn Japanese language or some common Japanese phrases just to enjoy the Japanese entertainment, read anime or manga, or even just to order food at a Japanese restaurant.
Well, if you want to learn Japanese words that are easy to memorise, you have landed on the right page.
Here are 30 basic Japanese words/phrases you will be able to use easily in your daily life, whether you are in Japan or elsewhere:
- Hello/Good day – Konnichiwa (こんにちは)
- How are you? – Agenki desu ka? (おげんきですか?).
- Thank you – Doumo arigatou (どうもありがと).
- Please – Onegaishimasu (おねがいします).
- I’m sorry – Gomennasai (ごめんなさい).
- Excuse me – Sumimasen (すみません).
- You’re welcome – Douitashimashite (どういたしまして).
- I don’t understand – Wakarimasen (わかりません).
- I don’t know – Shirimasen (しりません).
- Wait a moment – Chotto matte kudasai (ちょっとまってください).
- Don’t worry – Kuyokuyo suru na (くよくよするな).
- Goodbye – Sayonara (さようなら).
- See you later – Jaa mata (じゃあまた).
- Maybe – Tobun (たぶん).
- What’s your name? – Namae wa nan desu ka? (名前は何ですか).
- Is that so? – Sou desu ka? (そうですか).
- That was delicious – Gochisousama deshita (ごちそうさまでした).
- Can you help me? – Tetsudatte kuremasen ka? (手伝ってくれませんか).
- What is it? – Nan desu ka? (何ですか).
- Who is it? – Dare desu ka? (だれですか).
- Yesterday – Kinou (昨日).
- Today – Kyou (今日).
- Tomorrow – Ashita (明日)
- How much does that cost? – Ikura desu ka? (いくらですか).
- Where’s the toilet? – Toire wa doko desu ka? (トイレはどこですか).
- Where do you live? – Doko ni sunde imasu ka? (どこに住んでいますか).
- Goodnight – Oyasumi nasai (おやすみなさい).
- Welcome home/Welcome back – Okaerinasai (おかえりなさい).
- Great/I’m glad – Yokatta (良かった).
- Let’s meet again – Mata aimashou (また会いましょう).
If you want to learn Japanese and work or study in Japan, we have good news for you. Due to the chronic labor shortage in Japan, the Japanese and Indian governments have come together to train and provide employment in Japan to Indian professionals.
Japanese language institutes, such as AKAL Japanese Academy in Delhi, offer courses where not only will you learn Japanese language, you will also get insights into the fascinating cultures and traditions of the Japanese. Moreover, they will also help you find a job in Japan, and assist you with the visa application process. If you want to learn Japanese online, they also have that option available.